Undergraduates and Families

All undergraduates are invited to campus for the spring 2021 semester, though students may choose to continue studying remotely if they wish. Undergraduates and families can find answers to operational and academic questions on this page. This information is subject to change. Please continue to check back for more details about spring plans as they become available. For public health information on campus, visit the Princeton COVID Resources website

Important Dates

• May 16, 2021: Commencement ceremony
  • Feb. 1, 2021: First day of the spring semester
  • Jan. 24, 2021: Deadline for undergraduates to arrive on campus as well as for off-campus students to arrive at their off-campus residences so all students may begin Arrival Quarantine.
  • Dec. 22, 2020: Deadline for undergraduates to sign housing contracts. 
  • Dec. 18, 2020: Housing contracts sent to undergraduates who have declared their intent to live on campus.
  • Dec. 3, 2020 (5 pm EST): Deadline for undergraduates to declare intention to live on or off campus using the Housing Registration form.

Spring 2021 Decision

Will students be required to live on campus in the spring 2021 semester?

No. Students are not required to live on campus in the spring 2021 semester.

When do I have to notify the University of my decision to live on or off campus?

The deadline for undergraduates to declare intention to live on campus using the Housing Registration form is Dec. 3, 2020 at 5 p.m. EST. All students should complete the Housing form by that deadline. Declaring your intention to live on campus is not a commitment; there is no cancellation fee if you change your mind.

How will the University accommodate students who elect to come to campus?

The University’s goal is to house all undergraduate students who indicate their preference to live on campus. Housing needs and assignments will be assessed after December 3, 2020 and contracts will be sent by December 18, 2020.

Will I need to abide by a social contract?

To reduce the risk to those on campus and the surrounding communities, all undergraduates residing on or near campus must abide by the Social Contract for Spring 2021 and participate in the University’s COVID-19 testing protocols.
 Given the public health implications of infractions, the Social Contract for Spring 2021 will be strictly enforced. Violating the terms of the social contract will have consequences that may include requiring a student to leave campus.

May I access campus if I live off-campus but in the Princeton area (defined as Mercer County, NJ and Plainsboro, NJ)?

Students who live off-campus but in Mercer County or Plainsboro, New Jersey, who participate in the University’s COVID-19 testing protocol, comply with the Arrival Quarantine and sign the Social Contract will have access to campus libraries and certain campus facilities (such as classrooms for in-person course components). However, students living off campus in Mercer County or Plainsboro cannot access residence halls.

Students living off campus outside of Mercer County or Plainsboro who elect not to reside on campus will not be admitted to the University’s testing protocol nor will they have access to campus facilities.

I will be living off-campus in the Princeton area (defined as Mercer County, NJ and Plainsboro, NJ) and I want to have access to campus facilities. How many people can I live with in my Princeton area residence? Can I live with non-students, or students who are not participating in the testing protocol? Can I host guests in my Princeton area residence? 

The University has not established a strict limit on how many people you can live with in a Princeton area residence, and you are allowed to live with non-students or students who are not participating in the testing protocol.  But if you participate in the asymptomatic COVID-19 testing protocol and have access to campus facilities, you must adhere to the Social Contract with respect to guests in your home. Disciplinary consequences will ensue for non-compliance with this rule, including denying a student’s access to campus.

How will student groups be supported in the spring, and what restrictions will be in place for student groups?

All student organization activities and events must be registered in the Campus Life Events Registration System (CLEVER). Offices in Campus Life which sponsor recognized student organization activity may approve limited in-person student organization activities in alignment with the Spring 2021 Social Contract but will not approve in-person student organization events.

For more information about the registration process, including what constitutes an activity or event, please visit the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students’ websiteUpdated 3/26/21

Which campus facilities will be open (for example, Stephens Fitness Center, music practice rooms, dance studios)? Will student organization offices and spaces be open?

Access to campus facilities will be limited, as dictated by local and state occupancy restrictions. A list of study spaces in campus buildings accessible to students is available on the COVID Resources website. 

Students may submit a space reservation through EMS for activity indoors. Once approved, groups must adhere to the posted capacity guidelines in each room. If adherence to the posted capacity guidelines is not possible, the proposed activity must be held virtually. As a reminder, all group business must also be registered in CLEVER. Please visit the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students’ website for more information. Updated 3/26/21

Commencement

Will there be an in-person Commencement for the Class of 2021?

The University will celebrate Commencement 2021 at 11 a.m. Sunday, May 16, with an outdoor ceremony at Princeton Stadium. All graduating seniors and masters and Ph.D. recipients are invited to attend with a maximum of two guests per graduating student. The event will be held in compliance with social distancing and public health protocols set by the state of New Jersey. In the event of severe weather, the in-person ceremony will be moved to Monday, May 17.

The University will continue to monitor the public health situation and state guidelines in the weeks ahead — while we hope this will not be the case, should circumstances change significantly, we may need to revise the plans for the ceremony.

For more information, please read the announcement on the University homepage. FAQs about Commencement can be found on the Commencement 2021 website. Updated 4/9/21

Move-Out

When is move-out?

Move-out begins on Wednesday, April 28 through 12 p.m. on Saturday, May 15. All non-seniors are encouraged to move out as early as they feasibly can in order to facilitate a phased, socially-distant move out.

How do I sign up for move-out?

All undergraduate students living on campus must schedule their move-out through the Move-Out Sign up website. The website indicates move-out dates/times beginning on Wednesday, April 28 through 12 p.m. on Saturday, May 15 from which students can select. Note that move-out limits per day will be set for the final exam period - May 6 through May 15.

All moves must be complete by no later than 12 p.m. on Saturday, May 15 unless you are a senior.

I am a senior participating in Commencement. When do I have to move out?

Seniors are approved to remain on campus until after the Commencement ceremony. Seniors are expected to move out by noon on May 18 if Commencement is held on May 16 or move out by noon on May 19 if Commencement is held on May 17. Housing will work with seniors on a case-by-case basis if they require move considerations outside of the indicated post-Commencement move timelines.

For more information about move-out, including questions about dorm access and storage options, please visit the Housing and Real Estate Services FAQs page.

Summer 2021

Will undergraduates be permitted on campus this summer?

As announced in the March 17 memo to undergraduates, on-campus programs and accompanying housing for undergraduates during summer 2021 will be limited to senior thesis research that requires access to laboratories, archival or special collections, or other physical University research resources. A select number of courses and global seminars will be conducted virtually.

What if I am facing housing precarity this summer?

Students who are facing significant financial hardship and/or other serious extenuating circumstances that make it impossible to secure alternative housing during the summer months can apply for Continuous Housing. Extenuating circumstances may include being subjected to a dangerous, unhealthy or hostile living or learning environment, including based on social identity or protected characteristic(s), in an off-campus location. Students previously declared independent for purposes of financial aid are also eligible for Continuous Housing.    

Students who believe they meet these criteria but have not yet done so can apply for Continuous Housing beginning in early April. Students who are already approved for Emergency Residency will still be expected to register for Continuous Housing during the summer period, if necessary. All students in residence on campus during the summer will be charged the standard rates for housing and dining, if applicable. More information about these costs, once finalized, will be available on the Housing website. Students with questions about the Continuous Housing process should speak with their residential college director of student life.

How do I get permission to conduct my senior thesis research on campus?

Approval for on-campus thesis research is contingent on the endorsement of the student’s department and presumes that individual students may be accommodated safely in research facilities under applicable social distancing protocols. Interested students should contact their thesis adviser or Director of Undergraduate Studies as soon as possible to discuss their options and should consider submitting an application for senior thesis research funding in SAFE by April 4.

If my research is approved, when can I be on campus?

Students who resided in University housing throughout the spring semester and who are approved for senior thesis research will have the option to remain on campus from the end of final exams until June 1. Students selecting this option may have one or more moves associated with their transition from their academic year housing assignment to their summer housing assignment.

Students who resided off-campus during the spring semester or who choose to leave campus after final examinations must arrive on campus on June 1, 2021, to begin arrival protocols, which will include arrival testing and a ten-day quarantine if they have not been vaccinated. To claim the quarantine exception, students will have to submit their vaccination records to UHS through the MyUHS portal. No early arrivals will be permitted. Students must move out by August 2, 2021

If I am approved to conduct senior thesis research on campus for summer 2021, do I have to live in campus housing?

No, but we strongly encourage students to live in campus housing to support public health measures.  All students granted access to campus facilities, whether they live on campus or off, must participate in the asymptomatic testing protocol, complete the Daily Symptom Check, and adhere to the summer social contract.

I will not be conducting senior thesis research, but could I take a campus job this summer?

Only students who reside on campus for continuous housing or senior thesis research are eligible for in-person on-campus jobs in summer 2021. Undergraduates residing within the US may apply for remote work. Additional details are available on the Student Employment website.

I will be living close to campus this summer.  Will I have access to campus buildings?

Students who are not approved for senior thesis research or continuous housing in summer 2021 will not have access to campus buildings beyond that granted to the general public.

Will students living on campus have the option to be independent from any meal plan during the summer?

Only students living in Spelman will not be required to purchase a meal plan. Students living in the non-Spelman dorm(s) will be required to purchase a meal plan. The ratio of students to kitchens isn’t conducive for students to cook for themselves.

Will there be a room draw for students living on campus in the summer?

No, there will not be a room draw for students living on campus in the summer. Students will be assigned to their continuous housing or summer research housing unit. Students will be able to indicate their dorm preference (Spelman vs. non-Spelman) and any preferences regarding a roommate(s). Note that Spelman is not air-conditioned and the non-Spelman dorm(s), while not yet confirmed, will be air-conditioned.

Will I be able to partake in University-sponsored travel this summer?

The travel guidelines that are in effect as of May 24 can be found in Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations Aly Kassam-Remtulla's April 26 memo. Updated 5/24

Room Draw for Fall 2021

Will first-years and sophomore students be required to live on campus for the Fall 2021 semester?

First-years and sophomore students are required to live on campus within their residential college. However, this requirement may be waived based on public health guidance and executive orders.

When is the Fall 2021 move-in for students?

The move-in date for returning students is currently scheduled to begin Saturday, August 28. Students will be informed during the summer if the date(s) and/or process for move-in require changes due to legal requirements issued by federal, state, and local governments, and/or guidance issued by public health authorities.

How will move-in work when I arrive on campus? Do I have to be tested for COVID-19?

Consistent with prior years, students will sign up for a move-in date and time. Move-in dates and the sign-up link will be available later during the summer. Students are required to arrive on campus during their self-selected move-in date and time. Information regarding COVID-19 testing will be determined and communicated during the summer.

The University continues to monitor state-wide public health guidance and executive orders, which impact our ability to return to in-person instruction this fall. Note that these factors could result in the need to change our approach for the fall and could require the University to re-do the room selection process. Added 3/15/21

More information is available on the Housing website.

Housing

What will be the housing and dining charges for the spring 2021 semester?

The housing charge is $5,240 and the dining (meal plan) charge is $2,750.

How will students be assigned dorm rooms in the spring 2021 semester? Will I need to share a dorm room with another student?

All students intending to live in University housing in the spring 2021 semester will be assigned to single sleeping spaces, not necessarily single rooms. (A sleeping space is considered an area that is not shared with another student in which the student can sleep, take virtual classes, and study alone.)

First-year students will be assigned to a single sleeping space in their residential college, organized by their RCA group. To the extent possible, Housing will base sophomore, junior, and senior room assignments on last spring’s room draw. No additional room draw will be held, though some new assignments will need to be made.

How many single sleeping spaces are available for undergraduates on campus this spring? If there is not enough space in undergraduate dorms on campus, where will undergraduates be housed?

The University’s goal is to house all undergraduate students who indicate their preference to live on campus. We are working to maximize bed availability in the undergraduate dormitories, in keeping with public health guidelines.

Housing needs and assignments will be assessed after December 3, 2020, and contracts will be sent by December 18, 2020. If the number of students who decide to return for the spring exceeds the available beds in the undergraduate dorms, we will use the University-owned inventory that is within walking distance to campus. Additional housing resources will be investigated if needed.

Students’ indication of their intent to live on campus by December 3 is not a commitment to live on campus in the spring. From December 7 through approximately December 17, students whose reassigned room is not a comparable unit to their original assignment will be contacted directly by the Housing team. We expect to distribute housing contracts on or before Friday, December 18, and students will be expected to accept or decline their housing contracts by Tuesday, December 22.

If I need a housing accommodation, what should I do?

Students will be assigned their same or a comparable room that met their accommodation need in the earlier assignment process for 2020-21. If a student has not previously applied for and now needs a medical accommodation or if a student’s accommodation needs have changed they can apply in accordance with University policies by accessing the ODUS website between November 24 and December 3, 2020.

If between Dec. 3 through Dec. 17 I retract my decision to live on campus, will I be subject to cancellation fees?

No. Indicating your intent to live on campus is not a commitment to live on campus. Students who reconsider and opt NOT to live on campus will incur no penalty before December 17. For students who sign their housing contract (due by December 22) and then decide not to come to campus, no cancellation fees will apply.

If I currently live in emergency housing, will I be assigned the same room for spring?

Unless necessary for a student to be moved, most students currently living in emergency residency will be assigned the same room for spring.

Are student guests and outside visitors allowed in my room?

Students cannot host any off-campus guests, including family members, romantic partners, friends or even enrolled Princeton students who are not residing on campus in their rooms. In addition, students may not host in their sleeping space more than two resident student guests at a time.

I plan to live on campus; will I be able to go to Nassau Street, eat at local restaurants and shop at local stores?

Yes, but only after the completion of the Arrival Quarantine process. The Social Contract specifies that you must stay in the Princeton Area (Mercer County and Plainsboro, New Jersey) but you can patronize local businesses as long as you abide by all state and local public health guidelines. Updated on 12/11/20

Which campus facilities will be open (Stephens Fitness Center, music practice rooms, dance studios)?

Access to campus facilities will most likely be severely limited, as dictated by local and state occupancy restrictions. We are currently developing a policy on campus facilities. Facilities will not be available to student organizations for meetings, but may be available to individuals on a reservation-only basis. This policy will continue to develop.

Will I have prox access to all dorms, in addition to mine?

After the completion of the Arrival Quarantine process, undergraduate students who are living on campus will have access to all campus dorms in use during the spring 2021 term. Updated on 12/11/20

I’m a first-year student. How do I obtain my prox?

First-year students will pick up their TigerCards at the designated move-in site.

More information is also available on the Undergraduate Housing website. 

Packages and Mail 

How do I pick up my package during arrival quarantine? 

If you are an undergraduate student:

During your first 48 hours on campus: Mail Services will deliver packages to all newly arrived undergraduate students who are residing on campus directly to their dorm rooms.  Package deliveries include packages from U-Store, Amazon, UPS, Fed Ex, etc.

After your first 48 hours on campus and during the month of January, packages for all undergraduate students residing on campus will be available for pick up at the Campus Dining tent located on the Frist South Lawn. 

Call or email Mail Services 609-258-1352, mailsvc@princeton.edu for additional information. Updated on 1/7/21

How do I pick up my package after arrival quarantine?

During the month of January, packages for all undergraduate students residing on campus will be available for pick up at the dining tent located on the Frist South Lawn.Updated on 1/7/21

When will packages be delivered via Package Lockers?

The undergraduate packages lockers will resume normal operations beginning Monday, February 1, 2021.Updated on 1/7/21

How do I pick up a package after February 1?

Check your email notification to determine whether your package is in a locker or at the Oversized Package Room (OPR). If your package is in a locker, go to the specified locker bank and use the Princeton Package Lockers App on Android or iOS, or the self-service kiosk to open your locker. Lockers are accessible during building hours.

Packages that are too large for lockers, or perishable such as flowers, may be picked up in the Oversized Package Room (OPR) at Frist (Room 110) for undergraduates during OPR hours.

Frist OPR Hours (Spring 2021): Monday- Friday 10 am – 6 pm and Saturdays 10 am –  2 pmUpdated on 1/7/21

Where are the Package Lockers located?

Lockers for undergraduates are located on the 100 level of the Frist Campus Center. Updated on 1/7/21

Where is the Oversized Package Room (OPR)?

For undergraduates, the OPR is located on the 100 Level of the Frist Campus Center in Room 110.Updated on 1/7/21

How will I know if I've received a package?

You will receive an email notification that includes instructions on how to retrieve your package. Updated on 1/7/21

When are Package Lockers accessible after February 1?

Lockers are accessible during building hours. Please consult the Frist Campus Center website (undergraduates) for current hours. Please note that packages in the Oversized Package Room (OPR) may only be picked up during OPR business hours.

Frist OPR Hours (Spring 2021): Monday- Friday 10 am – 6 pm and Saturdays 10 am–2 pmUpdated on 1/7/21

Can I get course books delivered to me if I live on campus?

No. Course books will not be delivered to students who are living on campus. If you are studying on campus or in or near Princeton, you are required to make an appointment for instore pickup at Labyrinth Books. All students should carefully review the new deadlines and procedures on the Labyrinth Books website for spring 2021 course books.Updated on 1/7/21

More information is also available on the Print & Mail website.  

Dining

Who will have access to the dining halls?

Dining hall access will be restricted to residential college staff who are working on campus with the approval of the University and to students who live on campus or who have been approved by the University to be on campus, provided they adhere to all University policies aimed at minimizing the spread of COVID-19, including participation in the mandatory Monitoring and Testing Program.

Which dining halls will be open during the spring 2021 term?

We expect that all undergraduate dining halls, the Center for Jewish Life, and the Graduate College will be open for the spring semester, subject to state mandates and guidance in effect at the time. For dining hall operational hours, please visit the Campus Dining FAQs page. Updated 12/23/20

Can I eat in any dining hall?

Undergraduate students are permitted to eat in any undergraduate dining hall and the Center for Jewish Life (CJL). However seating and meal service capacity at each dining hall and CJL is limited. To comply with New Jersey requirements and guidance, meal access may be limited to specific dining halls.  

Graduate students are only allowed to dine in Procter Hall and are not permitted in the undergraduate dining halls. Graduate students with a meal plan who wish to dine at CJL should contact Campus Dining at dining@princeton.edu. Updated 1/15/21

Will seating in the dining halls be limited? If yes, where will I be able to eat my meal if there are no seats in the dining hall?

Seating will be limited in all the dining halls to allow for six feet of social distancing. If there are no seats available in the dining hall, you may take your meals and eat in your room and other open areas throughout campus.

Will there be a way to determine if a dining hall is crowded before walking there?

Sensors have been installed at entryways and exits of open dining halls to provide anonymous, real-time counts of people present in the dining halls. To view real-time occupancy in all of our dining halls visit density.princeton.edu.

What safety precautions are being taken at the dining halls?

Meals will be available for takeout and indoor dining. Available seating for indoor dining will be determined in accordance with social distancing guidelines.

Per University policy, all students, faculty, and staff who will have access to the dining halls and serveries are required to wear a face covering (cloth or disposable mask without an exhalation valve) that covers their nose and mouth (see https://ehs.princeton.edu/FaceCoveringsPolicy.html).

Social distancing guidelines will be strictly observed by Campus Dining staff and social distancing decals will be placed on the premises. Students and other dining hall users must also adhere to social distancing rules.

What will be the housing and dining costs?

The housing charge is $5,240 and the meal plan charge is $2,750.

Will I be required to purchase a meal plan?

At this time, students residing on campus, except for those assigned to a room in Spelman Hall, must sign up for a meal plan.

What meal plans will be available? 

Undergraduates who are on campus during the spring (other than students living at Spelman) will be enrolled in a meal plan that will allow one swipe per meal.

Graduate students living in the Graduate College may choose between the Graduate Block 105 meal plan that allows one swipe per meal and the Graduate-All-Meal-Plan that offers one swipe per meal. The 6-meal program for graduate students has been suspended for the spring.

For more information, please visit https://dining.princeton.edu/meal-plans

I will be living off campus in the Princeton area, participating in the testing program and signing the Social Contract; can I purchase a meal plan?

Yes, you can purchase a meal plan if you complete the UHS Risk Assessment and COVID-19 Training Module, sign the Social Contract, and participate in the mandatory testing program. The meal plan will go into effect Feb. 1, 2021. 

When should I expect to receive a dining contract?

Students will receive their dining contract with their housing contracts.

What will the menu options be? 

For each meal, a daily, rotating menu with limited offerings will be served. The same menus will be available across all of the residential dining halls and will be served by Campus Dining team members. There will be no self-service. The menus are being written by the Campus Dining culinary team and specific details will follow at a later time. Updated on 12/11/20

Will off-campus eating clubs and dining coops be open?

The off-campus eating clubs plan to remain closed. Read the Dec. 1 eating club statement for more information. Student dining coops will also be closed. All students residing on campus, with the exception of residents of Spelman Hall, will be required to purchase a meal plan.

What retail cafes will be open? 

Witherspoon’s Café at the Frist Campus Center will be open daily. Specific hours are to be determined.

More information about dining and meals plans is available on the Campus Dining website. 

Teaching & Learning

Will courses be taught in person?

The majority of courses will continue to be taught entirely remotely during the spring semester. Faculty may choose to teach either online or in a hybrid format (in which they will simultaneously teach residential students in person and remote students online ). Faculty may also choose to conduct components of their courses in person, such as group projects, faculty office hours, or the occasional hands-on class exercise.

Students who decide to continue to learn remotely and students on-campus who are in quarantine or isolation will be able to access all required components of a course remotely for the duration of the semester, or for the duration of their quarantine/isolation period.

When will the spring semester begin?

The Faculty approved the updated academic calendar for 2020-21 on July 27, 2020. We expect the spring term to start on Monday, February 1, 2021.

When will I know the format of an individual course?

Faculty members will determine course format by mid-December. Classrooms will be assigned to courses that will meet in-person by the second week in January. Courses with assigned rooms will show in Course Offerings and on your schedule of classes in TigerHub. Virtual classes will have days and times assigned with no classroom designation. Pre-recorded lectures will have neither an assigned time nor an assigned classroom. In some cases, a course may have in-person components, such as group projects, faculty office hours, or occasional hands-on class exercise. Unless otherwise indicated, you should assume the courses for which you’re registering will be taught remotely. The mode of instruction may be updated at any point until the start of classes.

Can I be on campus but not attend in-person courses?

Yes. Undergraduates who wish to participate in their courses remotely while residing on-campus may do so.

What are the health and safety guidelines for in-person course components?

In-person classes will function quite differently in the spring 2021 semester than in the past. If you attend in-person classes, you must:

• Use designated classroom entrances, exits, and walkways, maintaining an 8foot distance between you and your fellow students and faculty.
  • Wear a face covering indoors, even when speaking or at an appropriate distance from others.
  • Sit only in designated seats. Students must maintain an 8-foot distance between one another when seated.
  • Faculty will remain at the front of the classroom, at least 8 feet from students.
  • Leave furniture as situated.
  • Minimize movement within the classroom.
  • Refrain from handing out materials during class.
  • Refrain from bringing food and drink into the classroom.

If I am residing on campus but in isolation or quarantine, how will I attend my classes in person?

Students in isolation or quarantine will attend all classes remotely.

Will the McGraw Center for Teaching and Learning be operating in person in the spring?

No. All McGraw Center services will continue to be offered remotely.

Will the Writing Center be operating in person in the spring?

No. Writing Center conferences and other services will continue to be offered remotely.

What are the grading policies for courses in the spring 2021 term?

Students will be able to elect the P/D/F option for all undergraduate courses and faculty will be able to designate courses as P/D/F only.  Departments may, however, require students to take departmental pre-requisites and/or departmental requirements for a grade. Any course that students elect to P/D/F will not count against the student’s total allocation of four P/D/F courses.  The deadline for electing to P/D/F a graded course or drop a course will be the ninth week of classes.  The last day to withdraw from a semester in progress is the last day of classes. (Updated on 12/9/20) 

What is the grading policy for independent research (junior paper and senior thesis)?

Departments will generally require regular grades for independent work. Deadlines for independent work will revert to the regular University and departmental deadlines. (Updated on 12/9/20) 

Will I be able to conduct research in laboratories on campus?

Undergraduate students, with the exception of juniors and seniors explicitly authorized to conduct junior independent work or thesis research, are not allowed in laboratories or studio spaces until further notification by the University. Concentrators interested in exploring this possibility should first contact their faculty adviser.

I currently need learning accommodations for learning in a remote and hybrid environment. What should I do?

Contact the Office of Disability Services about how to access your accommodations while learning remotely.

Will professors hold in-person office hours?

We anticipate that the majority of office hours will continue to take place online. Some faculty may be open to in-person meetings with students, which would take place in a space (indoor or outdoor) that allows for appropriate physical distancing.

How will I get my course books if I am not on campus?

All students should carefully review the new deadlines and procedures Labyrinth Books has established for Spring 2021 course books. The window for ordering books opens on Saturday, January 16. They ask that students order as many books as they know they will need in a single order early in the order window, especially for all students quarantining upon arrival or who will need books shipped (two orders free, UPS). Note: there will be no in-person counter service and the final day for ordering spring course books is Monday, February 22. For store-pickup, an appointment is required and can be scheduled when students get their order-ready email. For more information on book delivery & pickup as well as some FAQ’s, please click here.

How do I try out a course in the add/drop period during the first two weeks of classes?

We advise instructors to make their course websites available to unenrolled students during the add/drop period. In addition to the course website, you may also be given access to Zoom class sessions. Please note that instructors will determine which course content and instructional materials to make available to unenrolled students.

In Blackboard:

To access Blackboard courses in which you are not enrolled, log in with your Princeton NetID on the Blackboard login page. Then use the Course Search or Course Catalog feature on the landing page. More information can be found in this Knowledge Base Article.

In Canvas:

To access Canvas courses in which you are not enrolled, log in to Canvas with your NetID. In the left-hand navigation bar click on Courses, then All Courses, and then click Browse More Courses, hich will bring up the list of courses open for unenrolled Princeton students to access.

Can I attend an in-person component of a course I hope to enroll in during the add/drop period?

No. You may not attend any in-person component of a course you are not already officially enrolled in, even if you are on the wait list or have contacted the faculty member. Classrooms have strict occupancy limits, and cannot accommodate additional students who are not enrolled. Faculty members are aware that no student not already on the roster is allowed to attend in person, so not attending will not negatively affect your chance of enrolling in the course if a spot should become available. Added 2/1/21

I’d like to take a Princeton course this summer; what courses are available?

A limited number of virtual courses will be offered by Princeton in summer 2021. Please consult Course Offerings for the entire list. All courses are by application only. Students should consult with their director of studies or dean about their interest in a summer course and potential sources of financial support. Added 2/10/21

Leaves of Absences

Can I take a leave of absence for the spring 2021 semester?

Students may take a year-long leave of absence beginning February 1, 2021, with an expected return of February 2022 in accordance with University policies.Students with questions about taking a leave should consult their residential college dean. International students considering a leave should also consult with their Davis International Center adviser. Updated 1/22/21

If I take a leave of absence for the spring 2021 semester, when will I be eligible to return?

Students who take a leave of absence in spring 2021 will normally be eligible to return at the start of the spring 2022 semester. You can find more information about taking a leave of absence here.

If I am currently enrolled and take a leave of absence starting this semester, spring 2021, will I be eligible to apply to Princeton-sponsored summer courses or programs during the summer of 2021?

No. Students on leave starting in spring 2021 are not eligible to apply to Princeton-sponsored summer courses or programs.

I’m currently employed by the University. If I take a leave of absence for spring 2021, can I continue my employment?

No. Students on leave are not eligible for employment by the University.

I’m currently on a one-year leave of absence. Can I return early?

No. Students who took a leave of absence in fall 2020 are not eligible for reinstatement until fall 2021.

I took a leave of absence in fall 2020 for the 2020-21 academic year; will I be eligible to participate in Princeton-sponsored programs and receive summer funding from Princeton in summer 2021, if I qualify for it?

For students who deferred participation in an already confirmed Princeton summer program because it was canceled, and who then took a leave for this academic year, if that program is offered in the summer of 2021 and you wish to participate, you will have priority. You should contact the program or department directly to see if the opportunity is available for summer 2021; please be advised that we are anticipating most summer programs will be remote again for summer 2021.

Students who remained enrolled for the 2020-21 academic year will have priority for Princeton-sponsored optional summer programs and the Princeton funding available to them. Students who took a leave of absence for the 2020-21 year may join a waitlist for these opportunities, but they will have a lower priority than students who did not take a leave. More information will be forthcoming soon about how to indicate your interest in summer programs.

Can I participate in Wintersession if I take a leave of absence this spring?

No. Students taking a leave for spring 2021 will not be eligible to participate in Wintersession 2021; they will be eligible for the Wintersession preceding the spring term in which they return from leave. (Updated on 12/9/20)

International Students

The University will work closely with and support international students as they navigate spring 2021 questions and plans for upcoming travel.

I will need a course with in-person components in order to remain in status with my visa (I am an international student in my first-year, or returning from a leave of absence). What should I do?

All students who need a course with in-person components to study in the United States in spring 2021 should apply for AMS 240 : Introduction to American Popular Culture. This course will satisfy that requirement. If, when you arrive on campus, you find another course that has a regularly scheduled in-person component that you would prefer over AMS 240, you should contact your residential college dean or director of studies and the Davis International Center to confirm the change of course choice. Until you have definite confirmation that another course you are enrolled in will satisfy the regulatory requirement, you should remain enrolled in and attend AMS 240. Given the fact that most courses will continue to be taught remotely, this is the only course currently offered that will allow you to remain in status.

Will international students in the class of 2024 and international students returning from leave of absence be able to register for a class with in-person components if necessary to facilitate their return to the U.S.?

The government (ICE/SEVP) has not yet issued guidance for spring 2021 on this topic. However, based on ICE/SEVP’s fall 2020 guidance, if an international student has a visa status that necessitates that they be enrolled in a credit-bearing course with an in-person component, they will have access to at least one such course.

The Davis IC will hold online information sessions for international students in the Class of 2024 and international students returning from leave. The sessions are scheduled for 8 pm ET on Dec. 2 and 9 am ET on Dec. 3. More information is available on the Davis IC website

I have questions about returning to campus as an international student. Who should I contact about my visa status?

Please review the Davis IC COVID-19 FAQs for the most recent information and make an appointment with your International Student Advisor to discuss your current status/records.

I will not be able to get a visa in time to arrive on campus in late January. Will I be allowed to arrive late to campus?

We expect that all international students who wish to study residentially at Princeton in Spring 2021 will arrive during the move-in period. Very limited exceptions to the arrival period may be granted for students who have complications with their visa processing. Late arrivals must be at Princeton by February 15. They will be expected to quarantine for the required length of time when they arrive on campus. International students who are not able to obtain visa appointments this winter must study remotely if they plan to stay enrolled. The University is establishing a process for requesting late arrival, and we will update students once a process is finalized. Check back soon for more information about what to do if you anticipate that visa issues will require you to arrive after the deadline to move in to campus.

If I am an international student on financial aid, will my aid package be readjusted to include the cost of travel to campus?

International students who move to campus will have a travel allowance that can be applied toward the cost of one round-trip airfare included in their financial aid budget.

If I do not return to campus, can I “study away” through Princeton as an international student?

The “study away” program was created in fall 2020 to accommodate students with a permanent residence overseas who may be interested in pursuing a program of study in the same country where they reside. To learn more about eligibility and the application process, please email sap@princeton.edu or submit a Study Away Interest Form.

Visit the Davis IC website for additional FAQs and resources for international students.

Emergency Residency

I’m currently on campus in Emergency Residency; how will this decision affect me?

Most students living in Emergency Residency will remain in their current rooms for the rest of the academic year.

Students who have travel plans during the winter break should have already registered their plans with the University. If you leave campus during the winter break for travel, and are returning prior to January 15, you will need to complete the COVID Risk Assessment Form (https://veoci.com/veoci/p/form/r996ddge9bzz#tab=entryForm) within 3-7 business days prior to your arrival back on campus. Your responses to these questions will allow UHS to advise you whether you are required to quarantine when you return based on your travel destination or whether you were exposed to someone infected with COVID while traveling. If you leave campus during the winter break and return after January 15, you will be required to participate in the full Arrival Quarantine, whose procedures are set out on the covid.princeton.edu site. Students should reach out to askhousing@princeton.edu with any questions or concerns about late arrival. Updated on 12/11/20

How should I apply for the Emergency Residency that begins on December 16 if I’m not currently on campus?

Students who face significant financial hardship and/or other serious extenuating circumstances that would make it impossible to secure alternative housing until their appointed move-in time may apply to live on campus in Emergency Residency after December 16. Extenuating circumstances may include being subjected to a dangerous, unhealthy or hostile living or learning environment, including based on social identity or protected characteristic(s), in an off-campus location. Students who have previously been declared independent for purposes of financial aid are also eligible for Emergency Residency.

Students who believe that they meet this criteria should apply for Emergency Residency using the personalized application link found under the “Academic Tasks” tab in TigerHub by December 3. Students will be notified of the decision no later than December 7. Students who are approved for Emergency Residency will be assigned a room; they will not be placed in their previously assigned housing. Please note that all students returning to campus from a state on the New Jersey Travel Advisory list must quarantine for two weeks and will not be permitted to travel off-campus during this period. All students who are in Emergency Residency during Winter break will need to register off-campus travel during this time.

Tuition & Costs

What is the spring tuition charge?

The Board of Trustees approved a 10% reduction in the tuition charge for the full 2020-21 academic year for all students, whether or not they return to campus. Accordingly, the spring 2021 tuition charge will remain the same as the fall 2020 charge.

I plan to live on campus; what is the charge for room and board?

The on-campus room charge is $5240 and the on-campus board charge is $2750. If you receive financial aid, these amounts are included in your on-campus budget. All students in on-campus undergraduate housing will be required to have the board plan.

When will my spring 2021 term bill be issued?

The undergraduate term bill is expected to be issued on or around January 2, 2021. Students who enrolled in the fall term for the tuition installment plan (Monthly Payment Plan) will be automatically enrolled for the spring term. Students who did not enroll in the fall are eligible to enroll for the spring term after the term bill is issued. The plan allows for spring term charges to be prorated over five months. Students access their student account directly from TigerHub. Students must delegate access to their parent/guardian for their parent/guardian to view and pay their student account. Delegated parents/guardians can then view their student’s account from Princeton’s Tiger Family Hub by logging in with their claimed Princeton Network ID (NetID). For assistance in claiming your NetID, contact the OIT Support and Operations Center at (609) 258–4357.

If I leave campus but remain enrolled, will I be eligible for a refund of room and board charges?

Students who remain enrolled but depart campus will be eligible for a prorated weekly refund of room and board charges until April 3The University meal plan is required and cannot be canceled while residing on campus. Financial aid students will retain aid based on their final University housing and dining charges, and have their aid for the remaining weeks of the semester recalculated based on their housing selection budget. No refunds will be available after April 3. 

Financial Aid

Will my financial aid package remain the same for the spring?

As in the fall semester, your financial aid will be packaged according to your housing circumstances for the semester. Your financial aid will be packaged with the on-campus, off-campus, or at-home budgets in line with your spring 2021 living situation.

When will I know my financial aid package for the spring semester?

Financial aid packages will be available the first week of January. For planning purposes, you can estimate your parent contribution for the spring semester to be the same amount as expected from your parents in the fall.

My family’s financial situation has changed and we can no longer meet our family contribution. What should we do?

Please contact the Financial Aid Office at faoffice@princeton.edu.

I am currently living at home with an at-home budget. I will not live on campus, but I want to apply for an off-campus budget. May I do that for spring 2021?

Yes, you can request the off-campus budget by completing an Off Campus Budget Request Form for the spring semester.

I am renting off-campus housing now and would have to break my lease to move to campus this spring. Will the University reimburse me for the cost of breaking my lease?

No. The University will not provide additional funding for students who break a lease.

As an international student on financial aid, will my financial aid package be readjusted to include the cost of travel to campus?

More information is available on the Office of Financial Aid's Spring 2021 FAQ page.

Student Employment

How can I learn about student employment opportunities for the spring?

The Student Employment Office will launch a new student job portal in early January 2021 where spring employment opportunities will be listed. Please visit the Student Employment Website for details.

Will there be any in-person student employment?

At this time, we do not have complete information about the availability of in-person jobs for the spring term. We expect to know more by early January 2021 about both remote and in-person employment options.

Student Athletes

Will there be a competitive varsity athletic season this spring?

Princeton Athletics received approval from the University to move into Ivy Phase Four, which allows for a return to local competition. The Tigers are now permitted to begin competition in spring sports under very specific health and safety protocols and guidelines, with the first scheduled events set for April 24 as the men's heavyweight rowing, men's lightweight rowing, women's lightweight rowing and women's open rowing programs all have scheduled road events for that day. Men's and women's track and field are scheduled to begin competition on April 25 at home. Updated 4/23/21

Will spectators or media be allowed at home events?

Spectators and media will not be allowed at home Princeton Athletics events for the remainder of the spring term. Attendance at away events is determined by the host institution. Added 4/23/21

Will athletic teams be able to hold practices even if there are no competitions?

Those student-athletes who are invited to return will be allowed to practice according to the guidelines for phased activity set out by the Ivy League. Spring guidelines are expected to follow those set out for fall 2020, but have not yet been updated.

How will these Ivy League decisions impact my eligibility? Should I consider taking a leave of absence?

Winter and fall sport student-athletes will not lose a season of Ivy League or NCAA eligibility, whether or not they enroll. Spring sport student-athlete eligibility will depend on whether or not there is competition later in the term. Before making any decisions regarding withdrawal, students should closely read the Athletics Department’s FAQ on the topic, and should schedule appointments with their residential college dean, and also with Alec Dun, assistant dean of the college and/or Kelly Widener, associate director of athletics.

Student athletes can find more information on the Athletics Department website.

Libraries

Will more libraries than Firestone be open? Will more reservation slots be added at Firestone given the volume of students potentially returning?

All Princeton University Library (PUL) campus locations (Architecture, East Asian, Engineering, Lewis Science, Marquand, Mendel, Stokes, and Firestone, including Special Collections) will be available to students for seat reservations through PUL’s online reservation system. The online seat reservation system will facilitate the availability of study seats, which are limited to the maximum occupancy allowed in each location. Maximum capacity is defined by the State of NJ and the NJ Department of Health. PUL is working with the University’s Office of Environmental Health & Safety to determine maximum occupancy for study spaces that will adhere to health and safety protocols. 

Can students study inside campus libraries?

Yes. Students who return for the spring 2021 semester will be able to make a seat reservation online to visit a campus library to study, including Special Collections. Strict adherence to safety and health protocols will be required.

In addition to the libraries, a list of study spaces in other campus buildings accessible to students is available on the COVID Resources website. Updated 2/8/21

Can students access stacks and check out physical books?

Yes. Students can browse stacks during a seat reservation appointment. Circulating books can be checked out.

Can students request book pick-up service, including materials from ReCAP and Borrow Direct?

Students who return for the spring 2021 semester will be able to request books online, including materials from ReCAP and Borrow Direct, and pick them up at campus library locations.”

Can students request digitization services?

Yes. All students can make digitization requests through the Library catalog.

Can students get research assistance?

Yes. Whether you are on or off campus, Library staff are happy to continue to assist you via video Chat, Zoom, email, or phone. In particular, we recommend that first- and second-year students start by contacting their personal librarians and juniors and seniors by contacting subject specialist librarians.

More information about library access is available on the Princeton University Library website.

Health Services

Health information related to COVID-19, including testing and quarantine, is available on the Princeton COVID Resources website. The following provides general information about University Health Services on campus.

If I am not currently enrolled in Student Health Plan, will it be possible to enroll in it now as I am planning to come to campus? 

Yes, students are eligible to enroll for a January or February start date. You must contact the SHP Office by December 15, 2020 for a January 1 plan start date or by January 8, 2021 for a February 1 plan start date.  Email the SHP Office at:  shpo@princeton.edu.  Include in the subject line: SHP Enrollment request:  Effective January 1 or February 1, 2021 – Include your full name and date of birth. You will also need to state in your email if you do not have comparable insurance coverage and that is why you are enrolling. If you do have comparable insurance but want to enroll in the SHP as a secondary plan, indicate that as well. If you enroll for a January 1 start date, your Student Account will be charged $215 for the last month of the Fall Semester (January) and $1,290 for the entire Spring semester (which runs through July 31, 2021) for a total of $1,505. If you enroll with a February 1 start date, your Student Account will be charged $1,290 for the entire Spring semester. Both options will have coverage through July 31, 2021, and there are no additional incremental options or monthly (shorter terms) available. 

For information on how SHP charges may be included in your financial aid package, see the Financial Aid Office’s FAQs or contact the Financial Aid Office at faoffice@princeton.edu. Added 12/13/20

If I am an international student and don’t currently have insurance in the U.S., will it be possible to enroll in SHP for the spring semester when I am living on/near campus?

Yes. See same instructions as above. Added 12/13/20

Can I get tested for COVID at UHS if I’m feeling sick?

Yes, if any student starts to feel symptoms that might be related to COVID, they can call UHS to set up an appointment with a provider and to be tested as part of the UHS symptomatic testing process. Those with symptoms who are being seen and tested at UHS, should not take part in the asymptomatic testing protocol. If you are feeling sick, call UHS right away at 609-258-3141 to set up your appointment; do not arrive without calling first. Once you have contacted UHS, a clinician will speak to you about your particular circumstances and guide you on how to prepare for your clinic visit. Added 12/13/20

If I get sick, will I be treated on campus?

If you are sick, your care will depend on your symptoms. With mild symptoms that do not require intervention other than comfort care and over-the-counter cough and cold remedies, you will be contacted daily by a nurse practitioner to check on your symptoms, assure your safety, and track any changes in your condition. If you become moderately sick and need assistance caring for yourself, you may be admitted to the UHS infirmary. More severe illness that requires intervention like supplemental oxygen or continuous pulse oximetry will need hospital-based care, and UHS would manage your transfer to a local hospital and assist in your care at the time of discharge. Added 12/13/20

Can I still come to UHS for health concerns that aren’t related to COVID? What precautions are in place to keep me safe? 

Yes. UHS is available to all enrolled students for health concerns related to COVID or otherwise. We ask that you call UHS first to speak to a triage nurse about what type of visit is most appropriate for your needs. In addition to in-person appointments, we now have telephone appointments and telemedicine appointments in order to assure the safest possible environment for your care. For a list of available services, call 609-258-3141, or visit the UHS website. Prior to an in-person appointment, all patients will be asked to complete a coronavirus screening via phone. They will also be required to wear a face covering throughout the duration of the appointment. All providers and UHS staff will also be wearing face coverings. McCosh Health Center facilities are disinfected and cleaned regularly. Added 12/13/20

Are CPS and SHARE offering appointments virtually or in person? 

CPS and SHARE are only offering appointments virtually. To schedule a CPS appointment, call 609-258-3141. For SHARE, call 609-258-3310. Added 12/13/20

Are CPS, SHARE, and the Medical Services still available to me if I’m not on campus?   What if I live outside of New Jersey?

CPS, SHARE and non-urgent Medical services are available virtually (via telehealth) for all enrolled students residing on campus or otherwise in New Jersey, and when possible to students located outside of New Jersey. To access services, call UHS at 609-258-3141. Please call UHS, as our providers can assist you in getting connected to a provider or telehealth services local to you.  For an emergency, whether on campus or remote, call 9-1-1 or local emergency services.  Added 12/13/20

Can I still come to the Infirmary if I’m sick during non-business hours?

Yes. The Infirmary is open for after-hours care, for recovery from serious illness, injury, or mental health treatment. Call 609-258-3139 before arriving, to speak with a nurse first.Added 12/13/20

How do I upload my documentation that I got a flu shot, as required by the Social Contract? 

You can document your flu vaccination via MyUHS online portal, on the Immunizations page. There is a section for flu vaccine where you can enter the date you received the vaccine (date must be after August 15, 2020, to meet compliance.). You will also need to upload supporting documentation (selecting Immunizations from the dropdown menu) in MyUHS under the “Upload” tab.Added 12/13/20

If I got a flu shot at Flu Fest at Jadwin Gym this fall, is that recorded by UHS?

Yes, if you received your vaccine at Flu Fest, it is already on-file with UHS and you do not need to submit additional documentation.Added 12/13/20

Will UHS be providing flu shots when we return to campus?

We encourage all students to get a flu shot at least two weeks before traveling to campus in order to reduce the risk that you will contract the flu during travel.  However, if you are not able to get a flu shot before leaving, you can get a flu shot at UHS.  You can make an appointment to get your flu shot at UHS by calling 609-258-3141.Added 12/13/20

Will accommodations be made for students with immunization exemptions (for religious or medical reasons)?

Yes. For instructions on how to request accommodations, see the UHS websiteAdded 12/13/20

Vaccinations

Will the University require COVID-19 vaccines for the 2021-22 academic year?Updated on 4/20/21

Yes, the University will require all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled or otherwise present on campus during the 2021-22 academic year to receive, and to provide proof of having received, a COVID-19 vaccine authorized by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). 

As soon as students are vaccinated, they must upload their COVID-19 vaccine record into the myUHS portal

Read the announcement on the University homepage.

Will COVID-19 vaccinations be available through the University?Updated 4/20/21

As of April 20, the University does not have vaccine supplies from the state of New Jersey in order to host on-campus clinics. In the meantime, University Health Services encourages faculty, staff, retirees and students to seek vaccinations wherever they are available

More information about vaccine distribution is available on the COVID Resources website. 

University-sponsored Travel

Are there any restrictions on personal or University-sponsored travel at this time?

Our on-going obligation to protect our communities and comply with worldwide restrictions on mobility mean that University-sponsored domestic and international travel will remain suspended in the spring, except in very limited circumstances. The extent of personal travel allowed for undergraduate students residing on campus will likewise be constrained. For the moment, our guidelines on permissible travel published in August are still applicable. We are reviewing these in light of our plans for the spring semester, and will share revised travel guidance for the spring semester in mid-December. As a reminder, for students invited to return to campus, travel to reach Princeton is permitted under current guidelines.

International students are encouraged to consult with the Davis International Center before planning their journey. Depending on individual circumstances, there may be status implications or travel restrictions to consider before traveling to/from the U.S.

Can I study abroad during spring 2021?

On October 1, 2020, the Office of International Programs made the difficult decision to suspend undergraduate participation in semester-long study abroad programs for spring 2021. This decision was made in close collaboration with Princeton’s Global Safety and Security Unit, and is based on a number of factors, including the University’s policy regarding undergraduate international travel, continued health and safety concerns, and highly variable logistical and security matters.

Arrival and Move-In

What are the arrival quarantine procedures for students living on campus this spring?

Consistent with both CDC recommendations and guidance from the New Jersey Department of Health, the University has developed a phased protocol for arrival quarantine for spring semester 2021.  Details about arrival quarantine are outlined on the Princeton COVID Resources website. Please consult this website carefully for information about who is required to participate in the arrival quarantine, by when students must move in to begin the arrival quarantine protocol, and what the arrival quarantine experience will look like for undergraduates. Updated on 12/11/20

When students arrive on campus for move-in, they will first take a COVID-19 test Jadwin Gym. After the test, undergraduates must report directly to their dorm to move in and begin arrival quarantine. Undergraduates must remain in their sleeping space, with the exception of using the restroom, until receiving a negative test result. This means that undergraduates are not permitted to go into town or gather in community spaces, and are not permitted to pick up meals on campus. All undergraduates have been provided initial meals by Campus Dining. Once students have received a negative test result they will pick up meals at their assigned dining services tent. Added 1/17/21

I am or will be living off campus; do I also have to arrive by January 24?

Yes. All students who participate in the University testing protocol who want to have access to campus facilities and classes for the spring semester must arrive and begin the arrival quarantine procedures by January 24. Updated on 12/11/20

Would students living in the same on-campus suite need to move in to campus on the same day and/or have their arrival quarantine end on the same day? 

No, this is not required. As students may be placed in quarantine throughout the course of the semester and are able to quarantine in their private sleeping space, arrival and subsequent quarantine timelines do not need to be synced. Added 12/13/20

What is the last day I can arrive on campus?

Students will need to follow the arrival quarantine procedures prior to the start of the spring term. Therefore, students must arrive no later than January 24, 2021.Updated on 12/11/20

Limited exceptions may be made for international students who have to arrive late due to complications with the visa process.

Yes. All students who participate in the University testing protocol who want to have access to campus facilities and classes for the spring semester must arrive and begin the arrival quarantine procedures by January 24.Updated on 12/11/20

Why is the January 24 arrival deadline so strict?

Students living both on-campus and off-campus (Mercer County and Plainsboro, New Jersey) who plan to access campus facilities as students in spring 2021 must arrive and begin arrival quarantine by January 24 to allow for the full 7 day arrival quarantine protocol to be completed prior to the beginning of classes on February 1. This deadline is important to help create the initial “bubble” for our community, where everyone has engaged in necessary public health measures so that we can isolate positive cases, provide them care and resources and separate them from the general population to prevent additional community spread. Added 12/21/20

Can I request a late arrival if I have a compelling reason?

You may request an exception to the arrival deadline if your reason is truly compelling. For example, if you are an international student who needs a visa to enter the U.S. and are unable to obtain your visa on time due to embassy/consulate closures and delays in processing, if your travel has been delayed due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control, or if you are prevented from traveling for an unforeseen documented health reason, you may be eligible for an exception to the arrival deadline and can request a late arrival.Added 12/21/20

I’m living off campus in Mercer County/Plainsboro and will be arriving later than January 24 to that location. If I want to access campus as a student during the spring term, do I have to request a late arrival?

Yes. Even students who are not living in University-owned housing must request a late arrival if they plan to arrive after January 24 in order to participate in the testing protocol that will grant them access to campus facilities. No students arriving to an off campus housing arrangement may participate in the University testing protocol and access campus facilities as a student in spring 2021 unless they have been approved to do so though this process.Added 12/21/20

How can I make a request for late arrival?

You may make a request by completing and submitting this Request for Exception to January 24 Arrivals formAdded 12/21/20

What is the timeline for this process?

Requests for a late arrival will be reviewed beginning in early January. All requests for late arrival must be made by January 25, at which point the form will no longer be available. Added 12/21/20

What is the absolute final deadline for arrival to campus?

If you are approved to arrive after the Jan. 24 deadline, the absolute final deadline to arrive on campus for the spring semester would be February 15. As mentioned, you must submit a request for a late arrival in advance. No late arrivals will be permitted after February 15. This deadline will help us to protect our community health and minimize disruption to students’ academic and social experiences. Added 12/21/20

When is move-in for students?

Move-in will be held from Saturday, January 16 through Sunday, January 24, 2021. After declaring their intent to live on campus, students will sign up for a move-in date and time beginning Friday, December 11, 2020. Students are expected to arrive on campus during their self-selected date and time. Students must move in no later than Sunday, January 24, 2021. Updated on 12/11/20

Students will sign up for a move-in date and time. The move-in sign up website was posted on the Housing website on Dec. 11. Students are required to arrive on campus during their self-selected date and time.

Students are required to report to a designated site on campus for COVID-19 testing before moving into their assigned rooms. The testing site hours will be shared during the week of December 21. First-year students will pick up their TigerCards at the designated move-in site. After reporting to the testing clinic, returning students will need to hit a hotspot before moving into their assigned rooms. Updated on 12/11/20

Who can I bring to campus with me for move-in?

Students are allowed to have one person with them to assist with move-in.

Those assisting with student move-in should be informed of and follow New Jersey’s travel advisory (see https://covid19.nj.gov/forms/njtravel).

If the move-in assistant is arriving from one of the states listed on the New Jersey travel advisory, they may be able to assist with move-in without having to provide documentation that they have self-quarantined before coming to campus. Assistants cannot accompany students to their COVID-19 testing, which must occur before a student moves into their room.

Once the assistant has finished helping with move-in, they will need to leave campus and will not be permitted to attend any on-campus events with the student or to return to campus on another day. Those assisting with move-in must wear a face covering, in accordance with the University’s Face Covering Policy.

An assistant from out of state should leave New Jersey once they have finished helping with move-in, unless they follow New Jersey’s quarantine protocol under its travel advisory. They will not be able to stay in an off-campus hotel or other lodging and return to campus on another day, as the University is not permitting non-essential visitors on campus at this time.

I will be arriving on campus after 4pm on my move-in date. How will I get a COVID-19 test as part of the Arrival Quarantine protocol?

Students arriving after 4pm on their move-in date must report to the COVID-19 testing clinic the following day at 9am.

Announcements

Davis International Center updates international students on summer travel
May 6, 2021

In an email sent to international undergraduates, graduate students and scholars on Wednesday, April 28, the Davis International Center addres

Revised summer travel guidelines
April 26, 2021

On Monday, April 26, Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations Aly Kassam-Remtulla sent the below memo to the Princeton University

University will require all undergraduate and graduate students to receive COVID-19 vaccines
April 20, 2021

Princeton University will require all undergraduate and graduate students enrolled or otherwise present on campus during the 2021-22 academic

University plans to host outdoor Commencement at Princeton Stadium on May 16 at 11 a.m.
April 9, 2021

The below information was published on the

Dean of the College and VP for Campus Life share information about Commencement with the Class of 2021
April 9, 2021

On Friday, April 9, Dean of the College Jill Dolan and VP for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun sent the below message to the Class of 2021:

ODUS issues new guidelines for limited in-person student organization activity
March 26, 2021

On Wednesday, March 24, the Office of the Dean of Undergraduate Students issued new guidelines for limited in-person student organization activitie

Revised guidelines for domestic and international summer travel
March 18, 2021

On Thursday, March 18, Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations Aly Kassam-Remtulla sent the below memo to the Princeton Uni

Housing launches Room Draw for fall 2021
March 17, 2021

On Monday, March 15, Housing sent the below message to undergraduate students about the room draw process that will take place this spring for selecting housing for the fall 2021 semester.

Dean of the College and VP for Campus Life update undergraduates on plans for summer 2021
March 17, 2021

Dean of the College Jill Dolan and VP for Campus Life W. Rochelle Calhoun sent the below message to undergraduates on Wednesday, March 17: